Monday, July 23, 2007

Rainy NY Day

We woke up to a rainy mess outside. Yuck, not the way you want to spend your vacation. And the genius that I am did no bring any tennis shoes. For some reason I thought it would be okay to wear flip flops everyday! I did have a pair of slip on shoes that I thought would work best. We decided to have breakfast at the hotel. Then we ran across the street to buy overpriced umbrellas from a luggage shop. Luckily there was a tour bus stop in front of our hotel, but we still had to wait in the rain. We got on the first bus that stopped, but quickly realized that it was not going the direction we wanted. But luckily they were handing out plastic ponchos. We got off the bus and put on our fashionable ponchos so everyone would know we were tourists.

We had decided to get off at the World Trade Center site. It appeared that the rain had let up as we got off the bus, but it quickly began to pour. Unfortunately our bus dropped us off about 2 blocks away from where we wanted to be, so we had to run in the rain, wearing tourist ponchos! Then the wind started blowing and flipping our umbrellas the other direction. What a nightmare. By the time we made it inside the building, Matt and I were soaked and I had giant blisters on my heals. I was miserable and let everyone know it. I was in so much pain and sopping wet even with the tourist poncho on. The WTC site was amazing. You can’t really get the feel for what really happened on 9/11 because there is construction equipment covering the site. But it was still amazing to see.

We went back and forth with what we would do the rest of the day. I threatened to get a taxi and head back to the hotel. Pour Matt is always having to calm me down. Tracy and Alison went outside to see what else was around. Matt and I found a Godiva and got some chocolate, which cheered me back up pretty quickly.

We all decided to head over to the American Museum of Natural History since it was something we could do inside without getting wet. We decided to try the subway. We bought the weekly pass and we were set. We made it to the museum without too many issues and without getting too wet. It is such a pretty museum. We didn’t go through all of it since it’s so big, but we saw some key exhibits. We saw the “Big Bang” exhibit and the Dinosaur exhibit, plus a few other things. The dinosaurs were pretty cool, but I think they were fake. It didn’t say it anywhere, but I think they were just replica fossils of one’s they have found. They were in glass cases or anything, so I don’t understand how they preserve the real thing like that. But it was neat none the less. There was a hot dog cart in front of the museum so Matt and I decided to grab a late lunch. It was our first “cart food” in New York. Can beat a $2 hotdog with kraut! By the way, it was still raining at this point. After the dogs, we met back up with Alison and Tracy and took the subway back to our hotel. We stopped by a liquor store and got some Parrot Bay to mix with our Pepsi.

Back at the hotel, we changed and took the subway to Little Italy. After about 30 minutes of walking in circles, we finally made it to a restaurant. I ordered the Fettuccine Alfredo and Matt ordered the Meat Tortellini with Alfredo Sauce. It was amazing! I love Italian food to begin with, but this was fabulous! Then we couldn’t resist dessert and I had Tiramisu and Matt had a Canoli. Both were to die for. I could live at that restaurant. Some day I will go to cooking school in Italy. On the walk back to the subway, Allison was solicited for Coach purses, which made us very excited! Originally I thought I heard him say “cooch”, which means something completely different, but gave us a great laugh. Oh and the rain was pretty much gone by the time we went to dinner!

No comments: